The Massachusetts Marine Trades Association honored longtime industry leader Larry Russo, Sr.
The MMTA presented longtime industry leader and former owner of Russo Marine, Larry Russo Sr. the Frank Farrell Distinguished Service Award. After being acquired by MarineMax in 2016, Larry has remained with the company as the Senior Vice President of MarineMax Northeast. Larry grew up in the recreational boating industry and has had a legendary career that has spanned nearly 60 years. Larry is the 4th recipient of the MMTA Frank Farrell award, joining Joe O’Neil, former owner of the New England Boat Show, Dick Egan of Crosby Yacht Yard and Ed Lofgren of 3A Marine. The award is in honor of the late Frank Farrell (1928-2001). Farrell was a co-founder of the New England Boat Show in 1957 and was instrumental in the formation of the MMTA in 1964. He became the first full-time executive director of the MMTA in 1975, a position he held for more than 25 years. Larry Sr.’s father, John Russo, was a founding member of the MMTA in 1964.
“To say Larry is deserving of this award would be a clear understatement based on the accomplishments and impact he has made in the recreational boating industry here in Massachusetts and nationally”, said Randall Lyons, executive director of the MMTA. Some of the key leadership roles that Larry has held over the years include the following:
- MMTA Board of Directors 1977 to present. MMTA President 1983-1984
- MMTA President Boston In-Water Boat Show 1992-2014
- MRAA Board of Directors 1982-1995. MRAA President 1988-1989
- RBFF - Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation Board of Directors 2002-2007
- NMMA Grow Boating Dealer Quality Task Force Chairman 2004-2006
- MRAA Marine Industry Dealership Certification Inc. Chairman 2006 -
- Sea Tow Safety Foundation Board of Directors 2008-2014
- Grow Boating, Inc. Board of Directors 2012-2020
- NMMA/MRAA BoatPac Board of Directors 2017 –
- Recipient - MRAA - Irv Rosenthal Leadership Award - 1991
- Recipient - NMMA – Hammond Leadership Award - 1997
- Recipient - MMTA – Marine Industry Advocate Award - 2007
Larry Russo Jr. had this to say about the award and presentation…
“I’m honored and proud to co-present this award to my dad. His life-long commitment to improving the business of boating has truly made our industry better for all involved”.
Warren Kelly, of Baert Marine and co-presenter of the award had this to say...
“Larry has always been committed to the advancement of our industry and we have all greatly benefited from it. Over the years he has selflessly given so very much of his time and continues to do so on both a local and national level. It is with great respect that I share in recognizing my friend personally and on behalf of the Marine Industry”.
The award was presented to Larry Sr. at the MMTA 2022 Business of Boating (BOB) Conference on Thursday, January 20th, at the Lakeview Pavilion in Foxboro, MA. Over 200 attendees took part in the event in-person and online.
From left to right
From left to right